Who doesn’t love upside down cake, I mean it’s upside down, come on what is not to love? This Gluten Free Cranberry Upside Down Cake is a unique way to showcase fresh cranberries.
Did you say you love tart and sweet? Well, do I have the cake for you.
Have you dreamt of a dessert that would make you fall in love with that tart holiday berry by combining some sweetness on top of a moist dense cake? No reason to continue to dream. I have all that you dreamt of rolled up in a gluten free, grain free, soy free dessert.
Now that I have answered your cranberry dreams let me tell you about my new obsession called Strike Back a T.V. series on Cinemax. Yes, I have become one of those people. You know the ones who sit and watch episode after episode. Though I do feign the pretense of working on my computer while watching, so it is a productive obsession.
- 3/4 cup of pure organic maple syrup
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted grass fed butter, melted
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries (about 2 cups)
- Zest from 1 orange, preferably organic
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted grass fed butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream (cream from can of [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/Native-Forest-Organic-Classic-13-5-oz/dp/B001HTJ2BQ”]classic organic coconut milk[/url])
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Butter a 9-inch round pan
- In a bowl stir to combine maple syrup, butter, zest and cranberries. Pour into prepared pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spices together in a bowl.
- Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and maple syrup.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition, then add the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the coconut cream in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spread the batter over cranberry topping.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until lightly golden and firm on top. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving. The cake will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
You might also like: