This Orange and Radish Salad is bold, refreshing, delicious and healthy. The perfect summer salad for your healthy eating.
My garden is finally starting to pop with veggies. The radishes are showing their shoulders which means they are ready to be popped out of the ground and eaten. I planted several varieties a week apart so that I will have an ongoing harvest. (Check out my How To grow radish post here)
Radishes are an extremely easy vegetable to grow from seed as long as you have a spot of soil that is fairly free from rocks and full sun. They are quick to germinate and are usually ready within four weeks from the time you plant your seeds.
With an abundance of radishes in my future I have been thinking up creative and delicious ways to enjoy these root veggies. I was debating between using my first batch making a radish relish or a salad and while I was walking with my friend Connie we started knocking around ideas for a salad. Connie threw out the idea of adding oranges with the radishes, and I was inspired. I used mandarins because it is what I had on hand, but a medium orange will work just as well. I loved the sweetness of the citrus juice with the cooling heat of the radishes. Because radishes have such high water content this salad is extremely refreshing as well as nutritious.
Typically younger smaller radishes have a more tender, less “hot” flavor. I have planted several varieties but the first to pop in my garden and one of my favorites is the French D’Avignon variety it is tender and flavorful. Great sautéed or chopped and eaten raw.In this salad I used D’Avignon and a Rainbow color variety.
Radishes are part of the cruciferous vegetable family (which includes broccoli, kale, cauliflower), which are considered one of the most beneficial vegetables because of their high fiber, vitamin, mineral that are cancer protecting. Radishes help as a natural cleansing agent for our digestive system helping to helping to break down and eliminate stagnant food and toxins that build up over time.
- 1 bunch of young radishes (about 1 cup sliced)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro leaved, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 medium orange or 3 mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Juice from 1/2 orange or 1 1/2 mandarins (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- dash of cumin
- In large bowl add ingredients and toss. If using orange, use half of the orange segments cut in half in salad. If using mandarins use 1 1/2 of the segments in the salad.
- Add ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine, toss to coat salad ingredients and serve.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: