This Pan Roasted Chicken with Apple Fennel Slaw is a delicious dinner recipe that is cooked in one pan and only takes 30 minutes to prepare. A great healthy, high protein, low-calorie weeknight dinner. Gluten Free and paleo friendly.
Oh, how I will be happy to never see a political ad again! Do you agree? I mean REALLY I am so over them.
Maybe it is worse because I live in a swing state so the ads are endless, back to back to back. I wonder what state has the least amount of ads shown? I think that is where I need to be living during the next election.
One thing I DO like about the ads is the songs that the candidates chose to play as “their theme song.” How does one choose their theme song that represents their life and beliefs?
I wonder what pop song I would choose to represent my life? Would I pick something old school? Maybe I would choose “I will survive” or “Another One Bites the Dust.”.
Or maybe I would pick a more current hit like Sara Bareilles “Brave?” The choices are endless.
Thankfully I will never have to choose such a silly thing, but if I did I would totally pick a head bobbing song so everyone started moving and grooving as I entered the room.
BUT, ANYWAY let us get back to the most important things like food.
I am totally trying to embrace the fall recipes mindset even though the temperatures around here have been in the 70’s and glorious. I did get a chance to grab a bunch of apples and have slowly been coming up with great ways to use this great fall produce in recipes.
WHY YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS PAN ROASTED CHICKEN WITH APPLE FENNEL SLAW RECIPE.
Using apples with fennel, lemon and olive oil is the perfect little salad. You can serve this slaw up with some mixed greens and totally enjoy it on its own as a light salad.
But the real flavor dynamo in this recipe is the mushroom, whole grain sauce that you drizzle over the pan roasted chicken. You may have extra left over and I highly recommend keeping it to enjoy on recipes throughout the week. Great in a marinara sauce or as a topper to a mild fish, like halibut or salmon recipe.
Pan searing this chicken and then roasting it off in the oven, gives you a perfectly flavored and tender piece of chicken. Make sure not to overcook your chicken. If you are unsure use a meat thermometer as soon as your chicken reaches 165°F remove from oven and let rest before slicing and serving.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin coconut oil
- 5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 generous tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless, organic chicken breasts
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and very thinly sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 large tart apple, cored and thinly sliced into bite size pieces
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl add fennel, apples, lemon juice, and olive oil, toss to coat and set aside.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. Once melted toss in mushrooms and saute stirring occasionally until lightly browned. About 5 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and add wine, cook until evaporated. This will happen quickly.
- Add mustard and chicken broth and simmer until reduced by ¼, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Pour mushroom sauce into a bowl, and wipe out skillet with a paper towel. It doesn’t have to be perfectly clean.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pinch each of salt and pepper
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. Add chicken cooking until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side.
- Add skillet to preheated oven and cook until browned and internal temperature is 165°F. About 8 minutes.
- Remove let rest.
- Mound apple fennel slaw on four plates and set a chicken breast on top. Drizzle mustard sauce on and around chicken.
- Serve additional sauce at the table to add more if desired.