Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Salad brings flavors from the garden together in a delicious dish.
If you are growing your own garden it is bursting with tomatoes and eggplants right now. If you’re not, the farmers market will have the best quality tomatoes and eggplants now, either way now is the time to roast them up serve them with a little olive oil and basil and have a little party in your mouth. This is a true Italian dish. My mother-n-law makes something very similar to this dish (she is a true Italian woman) and it is one of my husbands favorites. This couldn’t be any simpler to pull together, it takes only a few minutes to prep and only 30 minutes to cook with limited number of ingredients.
This would be great to bring over to a friend’s house or to serve at a party. You could make it ahead of time and let it rest on the counter marinating, or you could make a few days ahead and store in the refrigerator covered. My hubby likes it cold, but if you would prefer it room temperature just pop it on the counter and allow it to come to room temperature before serving. Either way is truly delicious. Add a nice crusty bread and a good wine and you have a wonderfully light and healthy summer salad or meal.
- 2 medium eggplant, 3 cups cubed
- 6-7 medium tomatoes, 3 cups cubed
- 5 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 4-5 large basil leaves torn into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil.
- Cut ends off eggplant, slice into 1" slices, then quarter slices.
- Toss eggplant with 1½ tablespoon of olive oil and ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Place on first baking sheet.
- Cut tomatoes into 1" cubes and toss with 1½ tablespoon of olive oil and ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Place on second baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until eggplant is soft and starts to caramelize (darken around edges)
- Remove both sheets from oven and let cool.
- Place eggplant and tomato, vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, pine nuts and toss.
- Top with torn basil and parmesan cheese.