Shrimp Salad is a healthy light flavorful simple salad that is made the day before serving. Preparation only takes minutes and then it marinated in the refrigerator over night. Perfect easy recipe for any level cook.
This is a Spanish salad called Escabeche (which means pickled), but telling you to make pickled shrimp just sounds gross, so we will stick with the name shrimp salad! Nothing about this is gross, it is GOOD. Spanish inspired recipes are usually uncomplicated but loaded with tons of spicy flavors that allow a dish with simple fresh ingredients to shine with bold peppy taste. Spanish and most Mediterranean dishes are considered healthy because of their use of fresh local produce and fish or protein and the use of healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado.
This dish is your typical beautifully uncomplicated Spanish dish. Using fresh seafood with fresh herbs makes for a fresh and satisfying dish. Perfect with a green salad or side of olives and cheese with a delicious wine.
You need at least 12 hours for this to marinate. I think it would make a great appetizer to throw together on Friday if you are having people over on Saturday. Perfect for a cookout or even a wintertime football party.
It makes a great light dinner or appetizer.
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined large raw shrimp
- Toss onion, vinegar, oregano and 1 teaspoon salt in a shallow glass bowl.
- Simmer oil, bay leaf, garlic and peppercorns in a small sauce pan for 10 minutes over low-medium heat. Remove and set aside.
- Add shrimp to large pot of well salted boiling water, remove pan from heat immediately and let shrimp sit in hot water until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. NOT LONG!
- Remove shrimp from water, drain and add to onion mixture in glass bowl.
- Top with oil mixture. Stir to combine.
- When completely cooled, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours up to 2 days.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Oil will solidify while in the fridge, so let sit out on the counter for about 30 minutes. Give it a good stir before serving!
You might also like: