Brazilian Beef Stew is simple to prepare, a hardy recipe with layers of great flavor. Perfect for the whole family that will warm up and satisfy even the picky eaters.
I stumbled across this short and simple recipe in Silver Spoon cookbook and the idea of coffee and wine had me interested. I had never put those two ingredients in the same dish. Made me wonder who thought it up?
Since I am still dealing with the pepper surplus from my garden I thought I would give it a try. I deviated from the cookbook recipe by adding the beans at the end. I just thought it needed a little bit more substance to make the family happy and the beans were a wonderful addition (plus I added extra protein-bonus). The boys all gave it a thumbs up, so it will be on my winter dinner rotation, plus it was so darn easy to pull together it will be a favorite of mine.
Brazilian Beef Stew
Recipe Type: Soup & Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds of stew beef,cubed
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small green bell peppers (I used the purple ones from my garden), diced
- 2 small Poblanos, diced
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 2 – (15.2 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon of Cilantro, chopped
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Mix
- Cooked Rice (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or pan, add the meat and cook, stirring frequently, until browned all over. Remove the meat and keep warm.
- Add onions, garlic and peppers to pan and stir to coat with meat juices and cook over low heat, stirring occasionaly, for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Gradually stir in the wine and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Return the meat to the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Beans, cover and cook for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- If you plan on freezing do not add beans, continue to cook until tender, cool completely, package and freeze. When reheating add beans, and serve.
- Place in bowl, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and cheese. Can be served over rice or alone