Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad with Blue Cheese is a crisp healthy clean salad, that is loaded with texture and flavor. Who knew brussels and apple flavors would make such a perfect harmony of flavor.
I came up with this recipe, not because of Brussels Sprouts but because of apples. Yes, I have over purchased the fall apples. I love the things, so I have been working hard to use them up before the over-ripen. I have been noticing tons of Brussels Sprouts or Kale salads with apples, so came up with own version blending the flavors that I thought my family and friends would like best. I also threw in chia seeds, walnuts and used apple cider vinegar to up the healthy factor.
I wrestled with using raw Brussels here or roasted, and decided to go with raw, which was the right decision. The raw brussels were crispy like the apple and blended well with the creamy blue cheese.
The key to avoiding the bitterness in Brussels Sprouts is to slice them as thinly as possible. Which can be accomplished using a sharp knife or throwing them in the food processor. I choose food processor, because it is quick and easy. With our new puppy, quick and easy is what I needed. (still in potty training, stop chewing mode) If you are using the food processor check through to make sure there are no large pieces of Brussels left in the mix. I had a few, so I pulsed the processor a few extra times.
If you are a big fan of Brussels Sprouts I wanted to share a few recipes that inspired me.
love & olive oil: Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
101 Cookbooks: Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Apple Recipe
Brussels Sprouts & Apple Salad with Blue Cheese
- 3/4 pound brussels sprouts ends trimmed (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 granny smith apples peeled, cored and cubed
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 fresh lemon juiced
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon minced Shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard Grey Poupon is gluten free
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Place brussels sprouts in food processor and process until finely chopped
- Add to large bowl.
- Toss in apple cubes, walnuts, salt, pepper and lemon juice and stir to mix.
- In a small bowl add vinegar, shallot, dijon, olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Add cheese and chia seeds and mix to coat cheese.
- Let sit a few minutes.
- Pour over Brussels Sprouts and toss to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Serve room temperature or cold. Can be made several hours ahead.
Other great Brussels Sprout recipes: