Grilled Romaine is one of those contradiction of what you know of a salad; cold and crisp, where grilled romaine is warm and wilted. Once you taste it you want it again, it really is delicious. The key to grilling romaine is to do it over medium-low heat more towards medium than low so that you can get the grill marks and to keep an eye on it. You don’t need to close the grill lid, you are only marking the salad with the flavor of the grill. A quick sear of lines and the salad wilts just a bit and it enhances the flavor of the lettuce.
Grilled Romaine and Blue Cheese Salad
- 2 heads of Romaine Lettuce cut in half
- 3 strips of bacon cooked and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or enough to drizzle over lettuce
- Cut heads in half and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl combine cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, milk, salt & pepper, stir to combine.
- Dice tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat grill to medium-low heat.
- Lay romaine cut side down on grill. Cook 2-3 minutes, just until grill marks, flip and repeat on other side.
- Lay Romaine on plate, top with tomato, bacon and blue cheese.