If you want to serve the best Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole and be the hero at your Thanksgiving dinner table this year, this is the recipe for you.
I hosted a Thanksgiving Party last weekend and came up with this doozy of a dish and it was a huge hit. It was the number one most requested recipe from my guests. What makes it great for cooks is that you can prepare ahead of time and freeze up at least a month in advance, and it is just as delicious as if you made it the same day.
The sweet potato is another of the native American plants found by Christopher Columbus and his shipmates. It was most likely discovered by Columbus on his various trips to the islands of the West Indies. When you think of Thanksgiving you think of Turkey first and Pumpkin second, but there is no hard evidence that pumpkins were part of the first Thanksgiving feast. One item that was most certainly a part of the first Thanksgiving feast was the sweet potato.
The root vegetable is making a huge comeback, because it is sweet and delicious and contain almost no salt or fat and are high in beta-carotene and vitamin A. They have been rated as 100 times more nutritious than an Idaho potato.
Nutritionists and dietitians declare these archaic vegetables super foods because they are loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese and other nutrients.
Mashed Sweet Potato
- 1 1/2 cup of hot coffee
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar packed
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- salt and pepper
- 5 lbs of sweet potatoes peeled, cut into 1 ½” cubes
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of butter chilled cut into ¼” cube
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Stir coffee, maple syrup, sugar, and espresso powder in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to boil and cook until reduced by half 6-7 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add bourbon and butter.
- Return pan to heat and reduce heat to medium, simmer for 40-45 minutes, until mixture is thick. This will thicken as it cools.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9” baking dish.
- In a stockpot add sweet potatoes and enough water to cover and boil cooking about 12 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain and return to pan, mashing sweet potatoes until smooth. (An immersion blender or a regular blender is a great way to mash potatoes).
- Once mashed add eggs and glaze stirring until evenly blended.
- Top with butter pieces and pecan pieces.
- Cook for 1hour.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving
1 thought on “Mashed Sweet Potato with Bourbon Glaze”
This also sounds delish – will give it a try sometime between now and Christmas. Hubby makes an amazing sweet potato pie for all turkey-type holidays – maybe I can upstage him with this awesome recipe of yours!