Pecan Balls are little melt in your mouth buttery-nutty cookies of deliciousness. Perfect for the holidays or any day, they are also known as Mexican wedding cake cookies. A very easy recipe for even the beginner baker.
To make these gluten free, substitute all purpose flour with all purpose gluten free flour.
Mom’s recipes are the best!
Today I am sharing my Mom’s Pecan balls, this is a recipe she would make every year during the holidays.
It is my brother Randy’s favorite and one of mine, soon to be one of yours.
Christmas is one of my favorite holidays.
When I was little we always bought a live Douglas Fir tree that my Dad and I would pick out. We decorated it with the big colored lights, family ornaments (some that I put on my tree today), and tinsel.
My Dad was very particular about how many strands of tinsel were allowed on each branch.
I would love to lay in the family room with nothing but the Christmas lights on, it was always so peaceful to me and made it really feel like Christmas.
Christmas Cookies bring back memories.
I also remember that my Mom would bake through the holidays.
There is something that makes a house feel like a home when the smell of baking is in the air.
It can make a childhood memory, ones that we carry with us throughout our lives.
Its funny this recipe reminds me not just of my mother but my oldest brother Randy. I adored him so much when I was little. He was 12 years older than me and all I wanted when I was young was to be just like him.
He loved these cookies. As a little girl I would try them, but I always thought they were gross.
Picky eaters grow up.
To say I was a picky eater when I was little would be a HUGE understatement, I was nicknamed the bird.
I would continue to try them each year in hopes that something would change. What changed was growing up. As I have gotten older my culinary tastes have expanded.
Now I eat these a plenty. Its a good thing this recipe makes so many or none of my friends would get any in their goodie boxes. 🙂
Me and my Mom on a trip to Virginia Beach.
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? Thanks for reading!
- Baking Sheet
- Electric Mixer
- Parchment Paper
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pecan chips you can process whole pecans in food processor
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted (substitute all purpose gluten free for gluten free cookies)
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for rolling balls
- Preheat oven to 350° and line sheets with silicone baking pads or parchment.
- In an electric mixer blend butter, salt, vanilla and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Gradually add pecans and sifted flour to mixer while running on low.
- Once batter comes together turn off mixer.
- Make 1" balls with dough, rolling to smooth, place on baking sheets with 2" in between.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time in upper third of oven for 12-15 minutes. Until bottom is lightly brown.
- Place final 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar in a bowl.
- Take warm cookies and drop into confectioners sugar using fingers gently toss to coat cookies with sugar.
- Place cookies on a rack to cook completely.
23 comments on “Pecan Balls”
I love ball cookies, especially one with nuts. This is great. I think I might add some bourbon to my mix 😉
Adding Bourbon sounds genius Melissa!
Oh yum! These sound so yummy!
I love hearing about your Christmas tradition. I totally know what you mean about the peacefulness of the Christmas lights. I was so unmotivated to decorate this year, but remembering that feeling made me go for it anyway. And sure enough after the room was all decked out my daughter said that she just loved the way it made her feel! These classic cookies are perfection!
Thanks Katie. Glad you got up your decorations and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! xo
I like sugar cookies
I make gumdrop cookies, using the red & green gumdrops. (But can’t get the rafflecopter entry to work!)
signed up for newsletter as pokergrl8 at gmail.com