Have you ever eaten a dessert that just made you say “WOW”? I have, and you are looking at it. This is an extra special treat that just had a harmony of flavors that every one I shared it with said “WOW”, you made this. I did a little smug fingernail rub on the old shoulder and said “why yes I did”. Here is the thing, so can YOU. This Pistachio Mascarpone Fig and Honey Tartlette will make you the hero with your family and friends too.
The Fig’s are arriving!
Figs have two seasons, a quick short season in early summer and a second, main crop that starts in late summer and runs through fall. I went to Whole Foods and the Figs greeted me as I walked through the door. Of course like any completely looney foodie, I took a photo and instagrammed it. They were beautiful I even made the cashier guy wrap them in their own special bag so I wouldn’t bruise them on their way home. Then I went to our big box grocer here in town, (Kroger) and picked up some Mascarpone cheese, which is an Italian type sweeter cream cheese and a few other items. Got home and realized my bag with the Mascarpone was missing called the grocery store, and “why yes we did forget to put that bag in your cart, so sorry.” GRRRRR. Called my delightfully kind and agreeable (cough-cough) husband at work and asked in my most sweet voice “would you please pick up my misplaced bag of grocery’s on your way home from work, honey”. I even batted my eyelashes, it didn’t matter I was on the phone, but I was getting into the role. It worked and that wonderful man picked it for me and he got a tart for dessert.
Now that I have shared my silly little story let me tell you about why you want to make this tartlette.
There are fresh figs on it, you need more than that?
Its freakin’ delicious, very sweet and beautiful. You can make this a day ahead and serve it at Sunday dinner or Thanksgiving dinner (just thinking ahead).
Pistachio Mascarpone Fig and Honey Tartlette
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios chopped
- 16 ounces Mascarpone Cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from organic lemon about 1 lemon
- 12-18 Figs depending on size
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine powdered sugar, flour, and butter in a food processor, mix until ingredients form a ball.
- Dump ball onto counter and divide into 6 parts. Place a part of the dough into each individual 4 1/2" tart pan with removable bottom.
- Push dough down along pan going up sides. Push into all the indention on side of pan. If you have a small rolling-pin (the kind for pies & pizzas) this works wonderfully.
- Add about a spoon full of chopped pistachios to each tart and lightly press into dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool completely before filling.
- In an electric mixer with a whisk attachment add mascarpone, brown sugar, heavy cream and whisk on medium high for a minute.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and continue to whip just until stiff peaks. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the filling into the cooled tart shell, and smooth with a spatula or off set knife.
- Cut stem off figs and cut into quarters length wise.
- Place cut figs on top of filling in a circular pattern
- Drizzle with honey
- Store in refrigerator covered until ready to serve.
Did you say you want more “WOW” Fig recipes? Well here you go…