Voodoo is said to have come from Africa, carried to America and the Caribbean in the days of enslavement. More specifically and more famously, the practice of voodoo magic has much of its roots in New Orleans, Louisiana. New Orleans is known for its ghost stories, voodoo doctors and its spicy food.
This Voodoo Cocktail offers a bit of mystery with spice. I love the idea of coating the lime with the cayenne, the person drinking can decide if they want to plop it into the cocktail for a little more kick.
Voodoo Doctor Cocktail
- 2 ounces of Rum
- 1/2 ounce St. Germain
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice 1/2 lime
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice I used a pink grapefruit
- dash of bitters
- 6 dashes of hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- lime wedge
- fresh ice
- In a martini shaker add Ice, Rum, St. Germain, Cointreau, lime juice, grapefruit juice, bitters and hot sauce.
- Shake and pour into a low ball glass
- Take a lime wedge and roll in cayenne pepper.
- Use a cocktail toothpick to spear lime wedge and hang over top of glass.