You know a great way to jumpstart you day is to have breakfast and a breakfast that is low calorie, packed full of fiber and protein is the best; these Blueberry Protein Muffins fit that bill . Not only does breakfast fill you up and give you energy through your morning, research suggest that having a significant amount of protein within 30 minutes from waking ignites your metabolism and you burn more calories throughout the morning. I usually opt for oatmeal or egg whites in the morning, but these muffins are a nice switch. I usually have two, which totals 252 calories and is enough to sustain me through my morning and my morning workout.
Protein muffin recipes that I have tried in the past have a rubber texture and not a lot of flavor. I never wanted to make the recipe again, which was a disappointment.
I wanted to come up with a recipe that I would enjoy eating while keeping it gluten free, and low in calorie. After several batches I decided to add in almond meal, orange zest, and a few tablespoons of honey to give the muffins more weight, flavor and a better texture. Now that I have my recipe, my refrigerator usually contains a container of these muffins.
- 1 cup oatmeal flour (quick oats ground in food processor)
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, peeled and mashed
- 3 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon orange zest or lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh organic blueberries or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place liners in one muffin pan and lightly spray with organic baking spray.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, yogurt, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract and mashed banana.
- In a second bowl combine oatmeal flour, almond meal, vanilla whey protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and orange zest.
- Combine flour mix and egg mix together until smooth.
- Fill each tin ¾ of the way full, spreading evenly.
- Place about 8 blueberries on top spreading evenly over top of each filled muffin batter. Do NOT push blueberries down into batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator.