Chocolate Honey Caramel Tart is a starteling sweet flavor packed dessert. I had to come up with a pie recipe to shoot for my videography class. Obviously I don’t follow the rules well, I had been wanting to try out this recipe I had come up with based on pecan bars. Let me tell ya’ its good stuff. I have a preference to tart recipes over pies, mostly because they can usually involve chocolate.
This was a great tart for Thanksgiving but would be just as awesome for Christmas, or New Years.
We are headed to Mexico for Christmas and New Years. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and a safe and fun New Years!
This recipe can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for a few days. Just wrap up tight and bring to room temperature before serving. You can also freeze for up to 3 months. Leave the tart in the pan and wrap in plastic wrap and then in foil. Let sit on counter,unwrapped for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Pate Brisee Recipe ([url href=”http://ahealthylifeforme.com/2013/09/23/pate-brisee-for-pies-tarts-and-hand-pies/” title=”Pate Brisee for Pies, Tarts and Hand Pies”]here[/url])
- [br][b]Honey Caramel Filling:[/b]
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pecan halves
- [br][b]Chocolate Ganache Topping:[/b]
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces 60% bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Lightly flour counter and roll dough out to approxiametly 13?
- Pick up dough and lay in an 11? tart pan.
- Using your fingers gently press dough to the bottom and side of pan.
- Remove excess dough.
- Using fork tines prick dough all over bottom of pan.
- Carefully place tart pan on baking sheet (make sure you don’t push loose bottom through dough)
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm up dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Raise oven temperature to 375°
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, honey and salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until foamy and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer inserted in the caramel registers 240°, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add the pecans and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the filling over the crust, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and the topping is bubbling.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine honey, cream and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring until honey dissolves.
- Add chocolate chips lower heat to low and stir until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Gently pour on top of tart and spread to edges with rubber spatula.
- Place in refrigerator to cool