Do you ever just want chocolate? Of course, you do, and so did I.
It was blazing hot out and I had been out messing in the garden and fiddling with the chickens and I am sure I sweated off a few pounds, and as a reward I deserved brownies.
So, I headed into the house and whipped up a batch. Making brownies from scratch is so much easier than people think. Yes, you can do it and you will be happy you did.
I added orange zest to this recipe to give it a bit of a gourmet flare. Dressing the brownies up enough that you could serve to guests when entertaining.
You can certainly omit the zest and just go with the good old-fashioned Double Chocolate Brownies. I won’t judge.
You could switch these chocolates around if you want a darker brownie melt the bittersweet and add semi-sweet chips at the end.
For more gooey brownies only cook 25 minutes.
Double Chocolate-Orange Brownies
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup bittersweet 60% cocoa, chips
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (use organic orange)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Spray an 8″ square pan with baking spray and line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl for 2 minutes in microwave. Take out after 1 minute and stir.
- Remove and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar .
- Place chocolate mix in mixer bowl and whisk in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Finally, stir in the flour, salt and chocolate chips and orange zest.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little batter and a few moist clumps clinging to it. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- These freeze very well.
These freeze very well.