Italian Almond Pear Cake is the perfect way to enjoy fall pears. A dense cake with the sweetness of fresh pears and the crunch of salty almond. You can serve this cake in the morning with cup of coffee or tea, or after dinner.
Pears are such a symbol of fall.
They ripen on trees as the first days of falls meet the calendar. They are such a fickle fruit when it comes to when to pick. I always pick a little earlier than I should. One because I am impatient to enjoy them, and because I am fighting the squirrels and other creatures that visit my trees when I am not looking. I am always amazed at how many pears can be held on a single skinny tree branch. The branches bend under the weight of the pear. How could they not, a single branch could hold 20 pears.
I find pears a beautiful fruit.
Pears are in season and the market is loaded with different varieties. I decided to pick up a few shiny red D’Anjou last week. Not what I would do with them. Because they have such a juicy texture and delicately floral flavor I knew it wouldn’t be hard to come up with a autumn recipe. I first planned on poaching my beautiful pears, but I was in the mood for cake.
My recent trip to Tuscany inspired me. I decided to come up with a recipe that mimicked an Italian Almond Cake. I made this Gluten Free by using GF flour but you can use all-purpose flour with the same great taste and texture.
Any pear variety will work in this recipe.
When choosing your pears, you want them to have a little give when you push on the flesh, but not too much. If they are soft, they are too ripe and will not hold up to peeling, coring or baking.
Cover the cake and store in the refrigerator to be enjoyed over several days. But, it won’t last several days. I took this cake into work and it was a huge hit with my employees, and lasted 1 day.
More Cake Recipes (here)
Italian Almond Pear Cake
- Springform Pan
- 7 tablespoons of unsalted butter softened
- 7 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup of almond flour
- 7 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ripe but not too soft pears peeled, halved and cored
- 1/3 cup roasted salted almonds, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Prepare springform pan by greasing with butter, line bottom with parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a medium bowl mix together almond meal, flour and baking powder.
- In a bowl of electric mixer add butter and sugar beating until well blended and creamy.
- While blender is on slow add eggs to mixer one at a time.
- Once blended add flour mixture, beat until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, using spatula spread to smooth.
- Top with pear halves in a circular pattern, do not overlap.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle top of cake with sliced almonds so that they are spread out evenly over top of pears.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven to a rack and let cool.
- Once completely cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice and enjoy.