Who doesn’t love upside down cake, I mean it’s upside down, come on what is not to love? This Gluten Free Cranberry Upside Down Cake is a unique way to showcase fresh cranberries.
Did you say you love tart and sweet? Well, do I have the cake for you.
Have you dreamt of a dessert that would make you fall in love with that tart holiday berry by combining some sweetness on top of a moist dense cake? No reason to continue to dream. I have all that you dreamt of rolled up in a gluten free, grain free, soy free dessert.
Now that I have answered your cranberry dreams let me tell you about my new obsession called Strike Back a T.V. series on Cinemax. Yes, I have become one of those people. You know the ones who sit and watch episode after episode. Though I do feign the pretense of working on my computer while watching, so it is a productive obsession.
Do you have a series that you love and are addicted too? Please share so I don’t feel alone in my obsession.
Gluten Free Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- 3/4 cup of pure organic maple syrup
- 1/2 stick 4 tablespoons unsalted grass fed butter, melted
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries about 2 cups
- Zest from 1 orange preferably organic
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick 4 ounces unsalted grass fed butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream cream from can of classic organic coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Butter a 9-inch round pan
- In a bowl stir to combine maple syrup, butter, zest and cranberries. Pour into prepared pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spices together in a bowl.
- Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and maple syrup.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition, then add the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the coconut cream in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spread the batter over cranberry topping.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until lightly golden and firm on top. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving. The cake will keep, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
You might also like:
36 comments on “Gluten Free Cranberry Upside Down Cake”
I love this cake. So beautiful and the perfect texture. I’ve made it twice now! 🙂 Thanks!
Taste great! Cake is light and moist and goes well with ice cream. Will definitely make again and again.
Thanks for letting me know Cynthia. I will have to try it with some ice cream next time!
Hi, could you please clarify the amount of butter for the topping – is it half a stick, or is it 4 ounces (which would be a full stick)? Thank you
Hi Margaret, Thanks for the catch, it should say 4 tablespoons. I apologize for the typo. Have a wonderful holiday!
How gorgeous is this cake??? I’m obsessed with all things cranberry right now, and love the hint of orange zest too!
Thanks Aimee. I am loving on cranberries right now too.
wow this is just GORGEOUS!
Awesome! I grew up on upside down cake but I love the twist you have on it. Thanks for the great recipe!
Your welcome Chrysta, enjoy!
We LOVE cranberries at our house. I cant wait to make this!
I hope you enjoy it Stephanie.
I saw this earlier on pinterest and fell in live with it. I have to make it!
Hope you enjoy it Ginny!
Beautiful photography!! Sounds and looks SO good!!