This Italian tomato lentil soup is easy to make and a super filling vegetarian meal.
The green lentils are cooked in a broth with tomatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, and spices. The soup is finished with kale and topped with spicy jalapeño and salty parmesan. Reminds me of Italy in a bowl.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE MY ITALIAN TOMATO LENTIL SOUP
Italian tomato lentil soup is a great recipe to satiate you without adding an animal protein.
Low in calories, high in fiber, potassium, and vitamins. A filling and satisfying soup from your smallest to your largest customer.
WHY I CREATED THIS RECIPE
I really love the flavors of Italy. I always find writing recipes using the Italian staples effortless.
Since I am trying to eat more vegetables, and be more
conscious of choosing food in season with the least impact of harm. Using veggies from my local farmers is the right choice.
I like to find vegetarian dinner recipes that allow me to feel full and satisfied when I walk way from the dinner table. The lentils in this soup do a great job of filling you up. Everyone walked away from the dinner table happy.
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN TOMATO LENTIL SOUP
Making Italian tomato lentil soup is very easy.
It is quick to pull together, most of your time is spent watching your soup simmer. About one hour.
- Sauté minced onion, garlic, celery, and carrots until they begin to caramelize.
- Add the spices to the veggies and cook them for a moment to pull out their flavor.
- Add the organic green lentils, stock, and canned diced tomatoes or fresh if using and to the pot, cover and simmer until the lentils are nice and soft.
- Serve with a small topping of spicy jalapeño and salty cheese.
If you like this recipe, try this recipe: BROCCOLI QUINOA LENTIL SALAD
ITALIAN TOMATO LENTIL SOUP
- Cutting Board
- Large Stock Pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots minced
- 2 celery stalks minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Herb mix
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper
- 1 cup organic green lentils
- 6 cups vegetable stock can use chicken stock
- 1 14- ounce can chopped tomatoes or 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 3 ounces baby kale leaves
- 1 Jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and let it cook until it softens, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot and let them cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Italian herb mix, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add the lentils, stock, and tomatoes to the pot and bring the pot to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Uncover pot, add the kale and gently stir into soup.
- Serve and top with chopped jalapeño and grated cheese