Gluten Free Pumpkin Coconut Chocolate Muffins are packed full of sweet flavor while keeping it gluten-free, grain free, dairy free and perfect for paleo. I love adding this to my morning breakfast, a little bit of sweet, a ton of potassium and healthy fats to fire up the muscles and brain.
You may know that I started CrossFit with my youngest son back in July and I decided to give the Whole30 program a go around. Basically, for 30 days you remove all grain, dairy, and sugars from your diet.
The simplified reasons behind the program are if you remove foods from your diet that are known to cause inflammation, irritation, etc. that you allow your body to completely be cleansed of them. You can then slowly add them back to see if they bother you. It was not a huge leap for me because I was eating pretty close to the plan anyway, however, removing all dairy and all sugar was the toughest part, especially in my morning coffee. Though like anyone will tell you, if you do it long enough you will adjust, and now I don’t even hesitate to drink my coffee black. What did I find out? I feel a heck of a lot better without the gluten and processed sugars. It is that simple, and now that I am past my 30-day challenge I will probably stay clear of them both, but I won’t sweat it if we are out to dinner and I want a piece of bread or a sweet cocktail.
Why am I telling you all of this? Because if you follow me you know that I have slowly been putting up recipes that are gluten, grain, and dairy-free. I really work through the recipe making it several times and playing with the ingredients until the end result tastes well… like it did before I removed the gluten, grain, and dairy.
This gluten-free pumpkin coconut chocolate muffins are no exception, I think four batches were made before I got it right and then I have made them several more times, just cause they are that good and I want them in my fridge.
Please, please, please if you try my recipes let me know what you think, the good the bad and the ugly. I really love to hear from you guys it keeps me challenged and inspired.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- ¾ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup unsweetend coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line regular size muffin tin with cups
- Mix together wet ingredients in a bowl: pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, powdered ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and unsweetened coconut.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop batter into muffin cups
- Bake for 25-28 minutes
Want more pumpkin recipes?