This Golden Maca Latte features turmeric, maca powder, cinnamon, and full-fat coconut milk. It’s lightly sweet and full of warm, nourishing flavor! You’ll love this simple, wholesome drink, both for its nutrients and its flavor.
(For another great way to use maca powder, check out this cocoa-based Maca Latte recipe [LINK to Best Maca Latte recipe]!)
An Energizing Twist on Turmeric Golden Milk!
Have you ever tried golden milk with turmeric? This health drink took the world by storm not long ago, and it’s easy to see why: with coconut milk, maple syrup, and other goodies, golden milk is a delicious way to take advantage of the health benefits of turmeric.
This recipe takes that idea to the next level by adding maca, a nutritional powder made from maca, which is a cruciferous vegetable native to the Andes mountains. Maca is known for its health benefits, and is quickly becoming an in-demand nutritional supplement for both men and women. You can find maca in several different forms, but my favorite might just be this sweet, spicy “latte.”
Does Maca Taste Like Coffee?
Maca powder does taste a bit like coffee, and some brands deliberately process their maca to taste similar to a cup o’ joe. Plus, with its butterscotch-y natural flavor, maca goes really well with most coffee and sweet drinks, like this easy maca latte.
To make a golden maca latte for one, you’ll Need turmeric, maca powder, and a few other spices and ingredients. Here’s the list:
- Milk: I use non-dairy milk, but you could also use regular milk.
- Coconut Milk: For extra richness (and health benefits!), we will add some full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream to the latte.
- Maca Powder and Turmeric: These important supplements taste great and are great for your body (check out the sections below for more information on the health benefits of maca powder and turmeric).
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is not only delicious, but it also is full of antioxidants and can even help regulate blood sugar.
- Sweetener: Use your sweetener of choice to adjust the latte’s sweetness. I like to use maple syrup or coconut sugar.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract.
- Black Pepper: A little bit of black pepper adds a chai-like spiciness, and is super helpful in aiding the absorption of turmeric.
What Is Maca Powder Good For?
Maca powder is used for a number of conditions, mostly related to hormonal imbalances – think sexual dysfunction, fertility, and mood. It can help boost fertility, reduce menopausal symptoms, and improve sexual function. This cruciferous veggie has been used for both food and medicine by the Andean people and has now become a sought-after natural supplement worldwide.
What Are the Benefits of Turmeric?
Turmeric is a bright yellow slice that contains curcumin, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound. Curcumin can help your body reduce inflammation, fight cancer, and maintain brain health – and that’s just for starters! It’s also good for your heart, and can help against depression and even Alzheimer’s. Adding black pepper to turmeric helps your body absorb this important compound.
How to Make a Golden Maca Latte
This drink is easiest to make on the stovetop, so you can let the ingredients warm up and dissolve without boiling. Topping the finished golden maca latte with frothed milk is optional, but it does add a special touch.
- Warm Up the Maca Latte Ingredients. To start, place all of the latte ingredients in a small saucepan, and whisk them together over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. You want to warm and dissolve the ingredients, but do not bring them to a boil.
- Adjust the Flavors. Remove the golden maca latte from the heat, and give it a taste. Adjust the flavors as needed, adding more sweetener to taste and more turmeric for a more intense flavor.
- Serve. Pour the finished golden maca latte into a mug. Top with frothed non-dairy milk, if you like, drink warm, and enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Variation Ideas
What else should you know about making this healthy golden maca latte? Here are my top tips for success, plus a few yummy variations. Happy sipping!
- Adjust the Spices: Feel free to dial up (or dial back) the cinnamon, turmeric, and black pepper to suit your taste. For a different vibe, try adding other spices like ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Use these lightly, since they can add quite a punch of flavor!
- Add Whipped Cream: Lightly-sweetened whipped cream or whipped coconut cream are a nice alternative to frothed milk.
- Add Extract: Try stirring a few drops of vanilla or almond extract into your latte for more extra deliciousness.
Storing Maca Powder
Maca powder typically has a shelf-life of about three years after it’s been ground, so you should be able to store it for at least a year or two after purchase. To keep it as fresh as possible, store it in an airtight jar or container away from light and heat (the refrigerator works well for this).
Golden Maca Latte
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. You want to warm the ingredients, but do not bring them to a boil.
- Remove the golden maca latte from the heat and adjust the taste as needed: adding more sweetener to taste and more turmeric for a more intense flavor.