This quick Maca Latte mix is easy to pull together, and makes an energizing, wholesome hot drink that’s loaded with health benefits.
A Quick, Easy Maca Powder Drink You’ll Adore
Lattes, anyone? Maca powder lattes, that is! That’s right, this healthy recipe is all about supplementing with maca, a nutritional powerhouse that is beneficial for so many things related to sexual and hormonal health. Plus, it’s totally delicious.
I can hear you asking, “But does maca powder taste like coffee?” Actually, yes! Maca does have a coffee-like flavor, along with sweet butterscotch notes (yum). For that reason, it’s become popular to take maca powder in the form of a hot drink, or as I like to think, a maca latte. This recipe will show you how to make a healthy dry drink powder that you can use to make a scrumptious maca drink on the fly, using just a few tablespoons of the mix and your favorite plant-based milk.
What Are the Benefits of Maca Powder?
Maca powder is great for a number of health problems, many of which are related to hormonal imbalances – such as sexual dysfunction, fertility problems, depression, and more. It can help boost fertility, reduce menopausal symptoms, and improve sexual function. Made from a cruciferous vegetable native to the Andes mountains, maca is a traditional food and medicine that’s now popular globally.
(For a different spin on this healthy drink, try my [LINK to Golden Maca Latte], too!)
To make the dry latte mix, you’ll need maca powder, cocoa powder, and a few other goodies. Making an actual latte will require some plant-based milk. Here’s the scoop:
For the Latte Mix:
- Cocoa Powder: Use good-quality cocoa powder, or use cacao powder if you prefer.
- Maca Powder: Look for fair trade, organic maca, if possible.
- Coconut Sugar: To sweeten the mix. Alternatively, leave this out and sweeten each latte individually with honey, syrup, etc.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon not only boosts the flavor of the latte, it adds tons of healthy antioxidants, too!
- Cayenne and Black Pepper: I love the kick that these give to the drink, but you can omit them if you like.
- Sea Salt: To bring out and balance the other flavors.
To Make a Maca Latte:
- Maca Latte Mix: Two or three tablespoons, to taste.
- Plant-Based Milk: Of your choice.
Let’s Make a Maca Latte!
There are two parts to this recipe process, of course. First, you’ll make the maca latte dry mix, and then you’ll add it to liquids to make your actual latte. Here’s how to do it.
Make the Maca Latte Mix
- Mix the Dry Ingredients. Measure and combine cocoa powder, maca powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, and sea salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Store. Transfer the maca latte mix into a jar with a lid (or another airtight container of your choice) for storage. Store in a cool, dry place until you’re ready to use it – the fridge works well, or a pantry shelf or cupboard.
Make a Maca Latte for One
- Combine the Dry Mix with Milk. To make a maca latte, place two or three tablespoons the maca latte mix into a small, heavy-bottomed pot. Add a small amount of your favorite plant-based milk, and whisk to make a smooth paste.
- Add More Milk and Heat the Latte Up. Once you have a smooth paste without lumps, pour in the rest of your plant-based milk, and whisk well to combine. Heat this mixture over medium heat, until it’s as warm as you’d like it to be.
Maca Latte Notes and Variations
What else can you do with a maca latte? Check out these easy variation ideas to keep your beverage options fresh and fun.
- Omit the Cayenne and Black Pepper: For more of a plain, maca hot chocolate drink, omit the spicy stuff and keep things on the sweeter side.
- Add Whipped Cream: Lightly-sweetened whipped cream or whipped coconut cream make your homemade maca latte a cafe-style masterpiece.
- Add Extract: Try stirring a few drops of vanilla or almond extract into your latte for more depth and flavor.
How to Store
The dry mixture should be stored in a cool, dry place in an airtight container – the refrigerator is great, but a pantry or cupboard is fine, too. It should keep for up to one year, or even longer!
The Best Maca Latte
For the Maca Latte Mix
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maca powder
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
For Making One Latte
- 1 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- 2 – 3 tablespoons maca latte mix
Make the Maca Latte Mix
- Combine cocoa powder, maca powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, and sea salt in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Transfer the maca latte mix into a jar with a lid for storage.
To Make One Latte
- Place 2-3 tablespoon maca latte mix into a small heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add ¼ cup plant-based milk, and whisk into a smooth paste.
- Add remaining 1 ¼ milk and whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium heat until desired warmth is reached.