This Peach Panzanella Ricotta Salad is sweet, savory and light. Perfect to enjoy on a hot day.
I created this salad because of the incredible peaches from The Peach Truck Tour. Using the perfect summer stone fruit in a salad to celebrate all that summer has to offer.
Have you heard about the “Peach Truck Tour?” If you have then we need to talk because why didn’t you tell me about this wonderful, wonderful thing? If you haven’t, the Peach Truck Tour is a truck that travels through several states delivering Peaches by the bushel. Peaches from the great state of Georgia.
Peach Truck delivers the Best Peaches Ever!
One Sunday a friend called and asked me if I wanted to join her in going to the Peach Truck that afternoon. After she explained all about it’s awesomeness, I couldn’t wait to join her and check it out.
The Peach Truck travels city to city and sets up a time and place to hand out their peaches. They promote it through social media and word of mouth. When we arrived 20 minutes before the set time there were hundreds of people already standing and waiting for peaches. HUNDREDS!
We joined the back of the line in the 90 degree heat and waited patiently. The whole time hoping there would still be peaches by the time we made it to the back of the truck. Thankfully peaches were still available and we were giddy as we settled them into the car for the drive home. As we drove home we discussed all the ways we planned on enjoy our peaches. Pies, smoothies, salads the list went on and on.
Can I just say, the BEST PEACHES EVER! They were so juicy I took to eating mine outside. Both my dogs would wait patiently beside me to lick up any dropped juice.
Why you should make Peach Panzanella Ricotta Salad.
Because of the amount of peaches, and me being only one person, I sliced, pitted and laid the peaches on a baking sheet which I stuck in the freezer.
Once the slices were frozen I put them into large plastic sealed bags. Perfect to pull out over the next several month for smoothies, baking, soups or cocktails.
I had some family and friends over to swim at the pool last weekend, and I decided to throw together this Peach Panzanella Salad for us to enjoy.
I had grabbed a loaf of sourdough bread at the farmers market earlier in the day. Sourdough is a perfect bread for salads because it can hold up and support the other ingredients. If you would like to use a gluten free bread make sure you choose something that won’t fall apart as you are eating the salad.
Just a side note about sourdough bread: With sourdough the grain is fermented with lactic acid bacteria and wild yeasts . In this process, the grain is metabolized by the bacteria and lactic acid is produced; with a lower sugar content.
Are you looking for more salad recipes? Click (here)
Are you looking for more peach recipes? Click (here)
Peach Panzanella Salad
- 3 peaches pitted and sliced
- 3-4 1" slices good sourdough bread
- 1/2 large shallot chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil lightly chopped
- 6 ounces ricotta
- 6 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- Heat 4 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and to place bread in a single layer over medium. Fry bread until deep golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, sprinkle fried side generous pinch of salt, and cut into 1½" pieces.
- Mix ricotta and 2 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl; season with pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss peaches, shallot, garlic, 1/2 basil, remaining olive oil and vinegar in a medium bowl; season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread ricotta mixture over plates and top with salad; drizzle with more oil if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!