At our house, our food cravings tend to lean in the regions of ethnic.
Don’t get me wrong, we love a classic American Sunday dinner of steak and potatoes, but when it comes to those dishes with cultural flavor, our mouths water.
This homemade Asian Barbecue is one of those recipes that has been hanging around as a favorite staple in our kitchen for a few years. I can’t even tell you how many times I have made it. I have even put it on Salmon for a quick bake. hint hint: good stuff on salmon!
This sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a week. Pulling it out when you are ready to start grilling.
Oyster Sauce is the main ingredient in this sauce. Oyster sauce can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store. It is a rich, concentrated mixture of oyster extractives, soy sauce, brine and assorted seasonings.
You can brush it on chicken breasts, wings or drumsticks whatever tickles your fancy.
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 onion , coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ? cup water
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/2 pound of chicken wings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in foil with a teaspoon of olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes, until soft. (I roasted a whole head of garlic and kept the extra cloves for bread and sauces throughout the week).
- Squeeze cloves out of skin into a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook covered for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until caramelized.
- Add Oyster sauce, pepper and 6 cloves of garlic to pan and cook a minute or two.
- Add soy and cook a two minutes.
- Add water and vinegar and allow to boil and cook till sauce is thick. About five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes. Add to blender and puree for about 30 seconds.
- Store sauce in a Ball Jar. Pour desired amount to use in separate bowl when you glaze chicken.
- Place chicken on plate and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken for 7 minutes and flip.
- Cook for additional 7 minutes.
- Lower grill heat to medium. Add sauce to completely cover chicken, turn and cover both sides.
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove and enjoy